By: Stuff National
A 28-year-old man has been charged with murder and two others are in custody after 49 people were killed in shootings at two Christchurch mosques.
Police Commissioner Mike Bush said as of 9pm 49 people had lost their lives in the shootings at the Masjid Al Noor on Deans Ave and the Linwood Masjid on Linwood Ave on Friday.
Forty-one people had died at the Deans Ave mosque, while seven had died at Linwood and one in hospital.
“It is clear that this can now only be described as a terrorist attack,” Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said.
It appeared to have been “well-planned”, she said.
Canterbury District Health Board chief executive David Meates said 48 people with gunshot wounds were also being treated at Christchurch Hospital, and others had presented to other health facilities around the city.
The patients ranged from young children to adults and their injuries ranged from critical to minor. Some would need multiple surgeries and some had been taken to other health facilities around the country.
People have been asked to stay away from Christchurch Hospital unless it was essential. There is no access to the hospital from Riccarton Ave.