Sabra Dipping Company warns of hummus products potentially contaminated with listeria. Click here for the list of items and recall information.
Fast facts on listeriosis: Here are some key points about listeriosis. More detail and supporting information is in the main article.
- Listeriosis is an infection caused by Listeria monocytogenes
- An estimated 260 Americans die of listeriosis yearly
- Roughly 20-30% of listeriosis infections are fatal
- Initial listeriosis symptoms are similar to those caused by flu
- Only immunosuppressed individuals and pregnant women are at risk of a serious case of listeriosis
- Listeriosis can lead to septicemia or meningitis
- Pregnant women are 20 times more likely to be infected with Listeria than the general population
- Listeria monocytogenes can survive in a wide range of environmental conditions
- Listeriosis is very difficult to treat.
Here are additional links for more information: