Tap into your potential.
By Prem Grover
For the past year, we’ve been on a journey to help children in conflict and disaster zones escape the risk of modern slavery. Today we’re delighted to announce that, alongside our partner, A World at School, and a coalition of other organisations, we achieved a campaign win on our Education in Crisis campaign.
The Global Fund for Education has been launched! This Fund will go towards helping 75 million children in 35 crisis-affected nations receive an education, reducing their risk of being trapped in forced labour, forced marriage, or recruitment to the armed forces. Already, contributions total over $90 million.
136,633 Walk Free supporters took action on this campaign. Our petition was taken to the World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul in May and presented to United Nations Secretary-General, Ban Ki-moon, as well as major government donors attending from around the world.
These supporters helped make the Fund happen – and now is your chance to help us achieve another win. Will you lend your voice to another equally important campaign? Over three thousand women and girls have been forced into sexual slavery by ISIS during the conflict in Iraq and Syria.
Earlier this month, 19 of these girls were publicly burned to death for trying to escape sexual slavery. By joining our campaign you can help protect women and children living in conflict zones from the risk of modern slavery. Join us in asking the UN Security Council (UNSC) to take action.
Over 55,000 have already signed our petition to protect the thousands of people who are enslaved in conflict areas – and the UN is listening. The topic is being debated at the UNSC and organisations across the globe are uniting, but we must keep the pressure on to ensure definitive action is taken fast. Speak up for these women and children by signing our petition here. In gratitude, Zoe, Eugenia and the Walk Free team
Compliments of Reuters
U.S. President Barack Obama has warned that attacks on police over racial bias would hurt the anti-racism Black Lives Matter movement, days after a sniper killed five police officers in Dallas in apparent revenge for police shootings of black people.
Obama said although most activists from the Black Lives Matter movement wanted to see better relations between communities and law enforcement, violence and overly broad criticism against police undermined the protest movement.
“I want to say to say to everyone concerned about … racial bias in the criminal justice system that maintaining a truthful, serious and respectful tone is going to help mobilize American society to bring about real change,” Obama said.
“Whenever those of us who are concerned about failures of the criminal justice system attack police, you are doing a disservice to the cause,” he told a news conference in Madrid where he is on a one-day visit.
Micah Johnson, a black U.S. military veteran of the Afghan war, opened fire on police officers on Thursday during a protest in Dallas against the fatal shootings of two black men by police in Louisiana and Minnesota the previous day.
Johnson wanted to “kill white people, especially white officers,” Dallas Police Chief David Brown said after the attack on Thursday night.
The Black Lives Matter group said on Friday it advocated dignity, not murder, in response to the shooting that also left seven other police officers and two civilians wounded.
Obama said there was legitimate criticism to be made of the criminal justice system and that citizens should continue to protest against it.
“I would hope that police organizations are also respectful of the frustrations that people in these communities feel and not just dismiss these protests as political correctness or politics or attacks on police,” he said.
By Paris Finnie
It happened! The modernization of every 90’s kid fantasy realized in smart phone technology. We have the ability to catch em all’ like Brock, Misty, or Ash while immersed in augmented reality. Like all great things too good to be true, there has been many critiques of the viral app. Is it invasive? Is it dangerous? Is it amazing? you decide.
A fairly old technology by tech standards, Augmented Reality (AR) has struggled to remain in mainstream. AR blends the fabricated digital interface with our non digital environments. Using almost all sensory stimulants to immerse the user, the concept before now has sat on the back burner in the app community. Devices like Google glass were the first to attempt to plant the victorious flag, but eccentric design and requirements caused the venture to fall short. However, new updates to AR like enhanced immersion and smoother implementation of app integration, have taken tech by storm. One of which being Microsoft Hololense demo shown below and the other Pokémon Go.
Augmented Reality Reaches New Heights
A Joke Turned Serious?
A few of us may be unaware that every year Google creates a prank. Some of the pranks are located in app while others are simply silly videos posted on their newly acquired media giant Youtube. A few years back two amazing throwbacks were introduced as a pranks to the Google platform. The first of two was Pacman. Google maps allowed for the location of your choosing to be converted into a Pacman game. The game has since been removed, but like our next mention, may just resurface as its own app. The second prank was Pokémon. Yes! As a joke there was a teaser video where people could run around and catch Pokémon on an AR platform. Below is the teaser video.
The Original Trailer
Pros and Cons
The mixed reviews have been tremendous, in no doubt do we see a paradigm shift in tech with the new application. Like Peter Parker was taught, “with great power comes great responsibility.” The problem however, is too many people are not able handle the responsibility.
We know you would never Go and drive. We know you would never Go without looking both ways. We know when you Go it’s perfectly safe and you are not jeopardizing your health. We cant let a few rotten apples spoil the bunch!
Conspiracy theorists are claiming it may be a tool for Geospatial Intelligence Gathering. Instead of using employees of their own the user will gather spatial information for the company. For example if there was a non documented location on their server, the company could simply create a rare Pokémon to drive traffic to that location. Let’s hope Pokémon does not harbor such nefarious intentions. Because like you, we love Charmander way too much.
On the contrary the game is amazing. It revitalizes that drive every 90’s kid had on Saturday mornings to guess “Who’s That Pokémon!” Nintendo can’t complain either. Since the games launch, the company has reported profits of over 7Bn dollars USD. GO is the perfect app for the generation. The game plays on the logic that many phone apps push users to stay dormant ignoring the world around them. obligating the trainer to explore their community. Nintendo has also targeted the demographic with the spending power. Pokémon Go drives business and excitement to all who have engaged in the game, all while putting the concept of Augmented Reality in the mainstream.
Whether you say no to GO or are bent on catch em’ all. We advise you to please be careful and aware of your surroundings.
Remember, do not just believe what we say. Research what we say!
Compliments of The Atlantic
The cease-fire between the Colombian government and the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC) ended a 50-year war that killed 250,000 people, and displaced 6 million, a population twice the size of Chicago. Barring the unpredictable, the 8,000 FARC soldiers who have lived and killed in the jungle will soon put down their weapons and relinquish control of 60 percent of the world’s most-productive coca crops.
It’s unclear what exactly will happen to the coca fields when FARC leaves. The government hopes the Marxist guerrilla group will help farmers transition from coca to another crop, leading to a tranquility that’s been absent from rural Colombia since bands of poor farmers fled to the mountains in 1948. But FARC’s absence could also create a vacuum that any number of other criminal groups already in the jungle may seek to fill, giving rise to more violence.
“It implies a whole different life for us, a different regime,” Alberto Camacho, a FARC commander, told The Guardian. “We have been living in boots for so long.”
Compliments of Sky News
Islamic State published pictures of five of its fighters it said died in the all-night siege at the Holey Artisan Bakery in the capital Dhaka’s diplomatic zone.
While IS has claimed responsibility for the attack and posted the images through its news agency, authorities continue to deny the militant group was involved or that it has a foothold in the country.
Posts on Facebook identified the men, who appeared smiling in front of a black flag, as Nibras Islam, Rohan Imtiaz, Meer Saameh Mubasheer, Andaleeb Ahmed and Raiyan Minhaj.
Authorities are seeking more information about the suspects, but said most went to elite schools in Bangladesh and Malaysia and were from wealthy families.
“A majority of the boys who attacked the restaurant came from very good educational institutions,” Bangladeshi information minister Hasanul Haq Inu told India’s NDTV.
“Some went to sophisticated schools. Their families are relatively well-to-do people.”
Home minister Asaduzzaman Khan told AFP: “They are all highly educated young men and from well-off families.”
Asked why they would have become jihadists, Mr Khan responded: “It has become a fashion.”
Mr Khan insisted homegrown militants behind a wave of killings against minority groups in the past year-and-a-half were to blame for the bloodshed at the restaurant.
But police have said they are investigating whether the attackers had links with Islamic State.
An official, speaking on condition he remained anonymous, said five of the 13 hostages rescued are still being held, including a Canadian citizen of Bangladeshi origin and a Bangladesh-born British citizen.
Compliments of N.Y. Times
The F.B.I. director, James B. Comey, said on Tuesday that the bureau would not recommend criminal charges in Hillary Clinton’s handling of classified information, lifting an enormous legal cloud from her presidential campaign, hours before her first joint campaign appearancewith President Obama.
But Mr. Comey rebuked Mrs. Clinton as being “extremely careless” in using a personal email address and server for sensitive information, declaring that an ordinary government official could have faced administrative sanction for such conduct.
To warrant a criminal charge, Mr. Comey said, there had to be evidence that Mrs. Clinton intentionally sent or received classified information — something that the F.B.I. did not find. “Our judgment is that no reasonable prosecutor would bring such a case,” he said at a news conference.
The Justice Department is highly likely to accept the F.B.I.’s instruction. Attorney General Loretta Lynch said on Friday that she would accept the recommendation of the F.B.I. and career prosecutors in the case, after questions were raised about an impromptu meeting between her and former President Bill Clinton at an airport in Phoenix.
Mr. Comey’s statement came three days after F.B.I. investigators interviewed Mrs. Clinton, a sign that the case was winding down. He described an elaborate yearlong investigation, in which the F.B.I. examined multiple servers, read 30,000 emails and interviewed dozens of people.
Compliments of Eweek
A federal judge for the Eastern District of Virginia has ruled that the user of any computer that connects to the Internet should not have an expectation of privacy because computer security is ineffectual at stopping hackers.The June 23 ruling came in one of the many cases resulting from the FBI’s infiltration of PlayPen, a hidden service on the Tor network that acted as a hub for child exploitation, and the subsequent prosecution of hundreds of individuals. To identify suspects, the FBI took control of PlayPen for two weeks and used, what it calls, a “network investigative technique,” or NIT—a program that runs on a visitor’s computer and identifies their Internet address.Such mass hacking using a single warrant has riled privacy and digital-rights advocates, but Senior U.S. District Judge Henry Coke Morgan Jr. upheld the use of the warrant and even stated that the warrant is unnecessary because of the type of crime being investigated and because users should have no “objectively reasonable expectation of privacy.”Even using countermeasures, such as the Tor network, does not mean that the user should expect their location or their activities to remain private, according to the judge.
“It is clear to the Court that Defendant took great strides to hide his IP address via his use of the Tor network,” the judge wrote in the ruling. “However, the court FINDS that any such subjective expectation of privacy—if one even existed in this case—is not objectively reasonable.”Other courts have found the opposite. The Ninth Circuit, for example, held in 2007 that just connecting a computer to the network does not undermine a user’s “subjective expectation of privacy and an objectively reasonable expectation of privacy in his personal computer.”Yet there has been a dramatic shift in the public’s reasonable expectation of privacy because people do expect to be able to defend their computers against attack, Judge Morgan argued.”[H]acking is much more prevalent now than it was even nine years ago, and the rise of computer hacking via the Internet has changed the public’s reasonable expectations of privacy,” the judge wrote. “Now, it seems unreasonable to think that a computer connected to the Web is immune from invasion. Indeed, the opposite holds true: In today’s digital world, it appears to be a virtual certainty that computers accessing the Internet can—and eventually will—be hacked.”The judge argued that the FBI did not even need the original warrant to use the NIT against visitors to PlayPen.The Electronic Frontier Foundation, a digital rights group, warned that the ruling is far outside any current legal notion of privacy. The group expects, however, that law enforcement will begin to use the ruling unless it is overturned.
By Paris Finnie
A few of us pride ourselves in our smooth ability to parallel park our cars. “It is a coming of age experience” proclaims one of our staff. Regardless, it seems that this noble ability to whip that tail in without touching the curb, is one of scariest and godawful “experiences” for many drivers. We wanted to take a look at parallel parking in the past and where it is to be in the future. Through our research process we hope to leave you (if you are one of those parallel protesters) with a glimmer of hope.
The roaring 20’s had a grip on the parallel parking issues.
Throughout the automotive history there have been many contenders in properly propelling/powering a wagon with wheels. As you may have figured, perhaps from watching westerns, the horse was a primary source of propulsion for many years before the combustion engine was built. In fact, to this day we use horsepower to describe the power of an engine.
Horsepower as reported from “How Stuff Works” revealed in this short prose says, “The story goes that Watt was working with ponies lifting coal at a coal mine, and he wanted a way to talk about the power available from one of these animals. He found that, on average, a mine pony could do 22,000 foot-pounds of work in a minute. He then increased that number by 50 percent and pegged the measurement of horsepower at 33,000 foot-pounds of work in one minute. ”
A myriad of power sources surfaced before the combustion engine made its way to superstardum. It was in the late 1800s that a man named Carl Benz perfected (at the time) the combustion engine. A business man and entrepreneur Carl lead the way for many other manufactures to better his design. He however, was never replaced in the automotive industry, his legacy lead to what we know today as Mercedes Benz. Soon after, companies like General Motors and Ford began springing up from around the world and the initial automotive boom surfaced. The ease of transportation combined with busy metropolitan streets gave way to the dreaded parallel parking job.
Fail Blog posted the best Parallel job we have ever seen
Parallel parking has become such a problem that companies have begun installing driver assisting software. Honestly it is a godsend to some people, especially the lady in the video above. The complexity of the problem has inspired engineers and programmers alike to build autombiles to better suit driver needs and concerns. For example, The Eagle 360 concept tire. The tire is a sphericle and self correcting. In the video below you will notice how postmodern the vehicle appears. One can foretell it would be a few decades before any automobile would have the design capabilities to harbor a tire of this sort. There is however, a neophyte design recently announced by a Canadian engineer. The design not only allows a car to drive sideways, but is compatible with any modern vehicle.
Goodyear forecasts a brilliant tire design
Liddiard, an engineer out of canada has created a brilliant design that can lay to rest the parallel parkaphobia in us all. The Liddiard tire uses a sturdy rubber and transverse rollers to allow any car to roll sideways. He discovered the idea in his brother’s barn using $60,000 startup cash to construct a viable product. The design does not require a futuristic car or selling your soul to afford it. In fact each wheel cost about $1,600 ( no one said parallel parking hacks were cheap). Liddiard’s design is patented, but he hopes major companies like Goodyear or Toyo can pick up the idea and mass produce it. The tires currently are unavailable for purchase, but with any luck may come to order in the next few years.
Liddiard Wheels eccentric design.
So, to all our parallel parkaphobia having friends and family, missing out on great parking spaces, your time is near. We will however leave you with the best instruction video we could find in hopes that you can hold on until then.
Remember, do not just believe what we say. Research what we say!
Compliments of Fox
Chile joined Ecuador and Britain on Wednesday, becoming one of the few countries in the world providing consumers with warning labels about the excessive content of unhealthy ingredients in foods.
The legislation will help families decide what they consume and learn about healthy products, President Michelle Bachelet said.
“This is more than a new law. It is a historic public policy step for the country, with regulations unparalleled in the world,” Bachelet, a surgeon, said, adding that the legislation was “comparable only to the efforts Chile made 50 years ago to deal with child malnutrition.”
“Half a century later, the fight is against obesity and excessive weight. It’s a real problem – half of girls and boys in the first year of school are overweight, and our country is on top of Latin America’s obesity indices,” the president said.
The new legislation is similar to laws enacted by Britain in 2012 and Ecuador in 2014, requiring “traffic light labels” on foods with warnings in green, yellow or red to indicate caloric content.
By May 2015, according to the Parliamentary Front against Hunger, three out of four people in the region were obese or overweight.
The group named Mexico, Chile, Guatemala and Ecuador as the countries with the worst problems.
The new legislation bans the sale of foods containing ingredients critical for human nutrition that are promoted with toys, such as Ferrero’s Kinder Sorpresa (Kinder Surprise) and McDonald’s Happy Meals, which have high levels of salt, sugar and saturated fat.